Monday, February 06, 2006

Just a few white flakes

Here’s the thing about teaching- you never mature past age 7 when it comes to snow. So, maybe there are those odd balls out there that think extremely rationally and say they don’t want a snow day because it means that there would be one added onto the end of the year. I am not one of those.

I wanted snow last night. I wanted it so much so that I stayed up far too late watching Grey’s Anatomy with the hope that I might be able to sleep in. And this morning when my alarm went off, I laid in bed and waited for the news to cycle back around. I needed to get up because I had already hit the snooze button twice and was running kind of late. But until the morning radio person confirmed no school closings, I was able to lay there and hope with my last bit of hope that outside my warm bed, there was a light blanket of snow or maybe even just icy road conditions. And then my hope was shattered with those 3 words: “No school closings.”

I think that when I begin to count down to summer break, people assume that I hate my job. Really that couldn’t be much further from the truth. I like my job. Some days I even love it. And I won’t be one of those people who complain about teaching being so much harder than the average job. I know better than that. All I ask is that you recognize that dealing with 30+ teenagers in 90-minute blocks throughout the day is no cake-walk. And so I will continue to gloat about the 2 month summer vacation.

And the next time, there is a possibility of snow, I will probably stay up too late and hope with all my might for my county to close school.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging