Monday, March 28, 2005

An Easter Like None Other

For years, I have been looking forward to turning 28. I really don't know why. Even according to my penchant for odd numbers, 28 should be bad. (And 27 should have been great since it is 3 cubed.) But I have always just known that 28 would be good.

This weekend was not only an Easter celebration for our family. It was also the celebration of Rebecca's and my birthdays. (Rebecca's was a little over 2 weeks ago and mine is in 6 days.) I think that the joint birthday deal is a bit of a cop out on the part of my parents, but we don't mind. (Especially now that we are grown- I mean, really there is no reason that they would need to throw us a birthday party at all.) So last night, we all went over to my grandmother's house, had our favorite dinner, some cake and a mountain of presents.

But I think that the best part of the weekend was yesterday morning. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE my gifts (especially the iPod) but yesterday morning was a treat. While most of my friends were sitting in a packed church listening to a sermon and mothers across the country were trying to coax their little darlings into frilly dresses and miniature suits, I was learning how to drive to bushhog.

Bushhogging is the equivalent to mowing the yard, except you use a tractor and you can run over bigger things, mainly tree saplings. Daddy taught Rebecca how to drive the tractor a few years ago, but she only got to drive around the field a couple of times. This past week, he got a new safer tractor- one with a roll bar and automatic shutoff. So I now know how to drive a tractor! I am so proud. But I am a little suspicious that it is trick- like when we begged for a year and a half to learn how to drive the lawnmower only to learn and then be asked to mow the yard all summer.

Regardless, my birthday is not for another 6 days, but if this past weekend is any indication, 28 is going to be great.

No comments: