Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Do people think?

So it is true that over the last several months, I have lost a pretty significant amount of weight. It has been so gradual that sometimes, even I have trouble noticing. However, I am at that point where people whom I don't see everyday, suddenly realize that something has changed. Overall, everyone's reaction has been positive.

Today, one of my team teachers walks into the room and says, "Wow, you are looking good. How much weight have you lost?" (This is the first time I have seen her in two and a half weeks.) I thank her, answer her questions, and think that we are at the end of the discussion.

But no. She continues with, "I am sure that now, you will just snap up a husband."

What?!? Did she really just say that? Was it a compliment? And even if it were, what was it suppose to mean?

Here's the translation I heard: "Wow, you use to be fat and ugly and so there is no wonder that you are single, but now, you should be able to get a guy with no problem." Or maybe even, "Your personality sucks and so it is a good thing that you are working on improving your looks because now you should be able to find some sucker to marry you."

And what is she saying about my future mate? That he would be so shallow as to not like me when I am a few pounds overweight? Thanks, but I will pass on that.
Funny thing is, she is in great shape but also unmarried. Hmm.

No comments: