Tuesday, April 12, 2005

teaching woes

I will be the first to admit that there are amazing benefits to teaching that are not found in the corporate world. I hesitate to complain because I fear the backlash from those of you who will be quick to point out that in a mere 6 weeks, I get two months off. (If you are one of these people who are going to get annoyed with my complaints, then I suggest that you stop reading here.)

The part of my job that I hate the most is the daily reminder that really I am just not making a difference. My self-esteem is pretty healthy, yet I have students who make me feel like an abject failure on a daily basis. For the most part, I am not talking about that warm and fuzzy, "All that will matter in 50 years is that I made the difference in the heart of a child" nonsense. I am speaking of just making an indention upon their gray matter in regards to basic math. They just don't get it.

An example from today- For the three weeks leading up to spring break, I have covered problems like the following (and I promise that these are not simplified for the sake of illustration):
x(2x+3) and (4x-8) + (-5x+2)
Not difficult. I lectured. We practiced. We played games with it. I gave homework. Everything. For three weeks.

And what do I get today? "Ms. Cleaveland, how do you do this?"

I had to completely re-teach the whole thing. I am not making a difference.

It is times like these when I just cling desperately to that 2 month vacation.

No comments: