Monday, April 10, 2006

34 and counting

Spring is my favorite time of year. Without a doubt. And I have some very rational reasons behind that statement.

Some celebrate the New Year by making resolutions. Not I. January and February are the roughest months for me. I don’t need to add to the blues by piling on goals that I will drop in mid-February. Instead, the New Year is when I buckle in and concede to eating junk food because it makes me happy. Let’s face it, when I am going to and coming from work in the dark, anything that makes me happy (even if it comes coupled with guilt) is worth it.

So reason number one is that spring is the time when I start to believe that I can be a better person. Last spring, I started running for the first time in my life and eating better. It was in the spring (again, only last year) that I lost a good 35 pounds. And it is now spring that I am determined to lose the rest.

And spring is birthday season. The sister-who-asked-not-to-be-mentioned-in-a-post-tonight and I have birthdays three weeks apart to the day. When we were younger, we shared parties. One year it would be a My Little Pony theme, and the next Chuckie Cheese. It starts with her birthday and wraps up with mine. Since my family has not yet gotten together to celebrate mine this year, it is an extended birthday. I’m serious. Until my family sings and brings the cake, my birthday is still in effect (though it was really a week ago today).

Reason Three: In spring my favorite flower, the daffodil, covers front yards. They drive my sinuses crazy, but I still love them. I once did a photographic essay on daffodils and it won a prize.

Spring is a time of new love. I associate all of my past good relationships with spring beginnings. The guys I started dating in the fall were doomed even before the first date. More recently, spring seems to be the time for new crushes.

But if you took away all of those things, I would still love spring. Because the number one reason I love spring is that the countdown can begin. That’s right guys and girls, there are only 34 more school days until summer break. Or even better, only 6 more Mondays. Who wouldn’t love that?

No comments: