Saturday, April 08, 2006

Gorwing Up

Maybe six weeks ago I found out that my sister is dating her old high school boyfriend. It was a little of a blow because they had been going out about a month and she hadn't told me. And it was a little bit of a shocker, but not necessarily in a bad way.

I like the guy. I have always liked him, except for those times that he made Rebecca cry. Then I wanted to cause a slow and painful death, but isn't that what every big sister would feel? In ways it is easier for me that she is going out with him. Of all her boyfriends, he has spent the most time hanging out with my family and so it makes it easier for me to joke around with him. It isn't as awkward as other boyfriends being here. If he does something to annoy me, I feel free to tell him so without the guilt of thinking that I have to be nice.

One of the cool things about living with your sibling is that you just kind of grow into it. Though we have both grown up, I don't notice the changes that have occurred. For instance, today Josh remarked that Rebecca is moodier now than she was in the old days; since I grew into the moodiness, I just assume that she has always been moody.

But I haven’t been around Josh in over 8 years. I notice the changes in him. Maybe it isn’t so much change, as it is things I just never knew. Most important is the fact that he is a cleaner. Apparently, he doesn’t like to be in messy environments. This is good news for me. When I got home yesterday and went upstairs, I was surprised to see that the carpet (including my room) had been vacuumed. And vacuumed so that the lines are in the carpet. I don’t have a clue as to how you get the lines to stay in the carpet.

There are times when I am a bit envious of my sister’s ability to meet guys and always be in a relationship. But this time, my envy is minimal. Let’s face it, she got a boyfriend and I got a maid. Not a bad deal.

No comments: