Friday, April 28, 2006

You smell

I am sick again. It came on really pretty quickly. I have lot of congestion, but no sore throat. Really, this time, my illness has been characterized by extreme fatigue. It’s not the kind of fatigue that made my sleep a sound sleep at night. Rather, it is fatigue that makes the thought of having to get up and take a shower seem impossible. It is a fatigue that makes me think that the pure effort of moving my jaws enough to chew makes eating not worth it. I associate this kind of fatigue with one thing- mono.

When I went to the doctor today, I was convinced that she was going to do blood work and confirm the presence of mono.

Almost as soon as she walked into the room, the doctor said, “You have strep throat.”

I was floored. Really, I’ve not had a sore throat and my fever has been really low. And I was convinced that I had mono.

She went on to explain that strep has a smell to it and that she smelled it. It’s not something you really want to hear when you are sick. “On top of feeling like crap, and looking like crap, you actually have an odor about you that isn’t so pleasant.”

She took a strep culture and gave me an antibiotic with the following reasoning, “If the culture comes back positive for strep, then you will have been on antibiotics for a couple of days. If it isn’t strep then it is a virus and you will just have to wait it out anyways.” More of what you really don’t want to hear.

The good news is that I have started the antibiotic and have already started to feel better. I guess her nose was right.

Thank goodness. I hate mono.

No comments: