Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Remember, it turns back to a pumpkin at midnight.

If you go to the nail saloon on any Saturday morning this time of year, you will know that it is a special time of year. That’s right, it’s prom time.

I went to both my junior and senior prom. Michael wanted to go to his junior prom (I was a sophomore), but instead we went out of town with our youth group. I think that he was a little bitter. But we went the next year and did the whole after prom party thing at the bowling ally. I think that I had a curfew of midnight.

My senior year, I went with Brian. I liked Brian, but I am pretty confident that he wasn’t interested in me (or in anyone for that matter) and just agreed to go because he felt like he needed to go. I remember a not so fun dinner and then pretty much nothing of the prom itself. After that one, our group went to Patrick’s house and hung out for a while. He and his date weren’t really hitting it off. I think that night I had permission to stay out until 1, but Brian’s curfew was earlier.

Now that I am teaching in a high school, I have the opportunity to go to prom every year. For the past two years, I have come up with other things to do on prom night and I haven’t chaperoned. But this year, it looks like I am going. My math teacher friends are all going to go, and so I figure I should as well.

Obviously, some things are going to be different in this prom experience. I am not buying a new dress. I am not going out to eat a fancy dinner before hand. I probably won’t even go get a pedicure. And, sadly, it looks like I will be going alone. Unless of course you know someone who would like to go to prom on May 6th…

No comments: