Friday, June 03, 2005

As Opposed to Yesterday...

Today, I do not have a lot to say. I have sort of settled into a routine.

Last night we had dinner with a group of college students (actually, we just met the girl half of the team) from Atl who are here for a the summer as well. Rebecca and Heather fixed pasta, garlic bread, and broccolli (they even had lemon juice); it was a nice change to have something different.

This morning I slept in until about 8:30 becasue we don't have class on Friday. When I finally got going, I had to head out to the freshman campus to meet my friend from Wednesday for lunch. What I thought would be maybe an hour or hour and a half at best turned into 4 hours. (I think that she would have been content to hang out well into the evening except I told her that I had to get back.) She took me up to her dorm room becasue I had never seen one and she wants me to meet her dormmates.

What an eye opener. First of all, she lives on the 6th floor and the rule is that a building gets an elevator only if it is 7 or more stories tall. Her room is very small and she has SEVEN roommates. The beds are just flat peices of thin wood with some sheets thrown on them and there is no air conditioning. They have one sink and no closets or bookshelves. There is one desk in the middle of the room, but each girl lines her personal things along the edge of her bunk bed next to the wall. (It reminded me of how Rebecca use to hide books and flashlights down the side of her bed when we were little. Seriously, at any given time, you could find 15 books in her bed.) Like most people I have met, this girl's favorite singer is Celine Dion and she absolutly loves "My Heart Will Go On." I have known her for 3 days and she has sung it for me 4 times. "Near. Far. Wherever You Are....." I am beginning to think that I will be haunted by this song for the rest of my life.

Tonight we have been invited over to a cookout with a family that has been living here a while. Tomorrow I think that we will be going to the fabric mart to pick up some material to take to the tailor. Then we have been invited to a pool party followed with dinner at an Indian place. It should be a good weekend and I will be sure to give you an update.

To those of you who have been sending emails, thank you. If I don't have a chance to respond individually everytime, know that I do appreciate it.
If you haven't been sending emails, well, shame on you (especially you Moeisha- you are my sister!). Not really, I will hold no hard feelings.
And those of you who gave me cards before I left, I have set up a schedule because I think that I have enough to read one every other day. (Last night, I read Nicky's first one and she told me about a news report that said you could lose a significant amount of weight in a year if you just tapped your finger while you were sitting down. Nice.) Sara I am still holding off on yours for a rainy day.

I hope that you have a great Friday and weekend.

No comments: