Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Soundtrack

Before I write about what I really want to share, I need to make an apology. In my last post I said that my family was taking vacation without me. That was the plan before I left. Thankfully, I was wrong. Apparently Rebecca couldn't get off work and Melissa has school the week my parents wanted to go. I am just going to go on thinking that they couldn't stand the thought of a week at the beach without me. I am confident that is the true heart of the matter.

Now, on with my post...

Some friends and I (Wendy and Beth Fain) had a conversation a while back about needing a soundtrack for our lives. We discussed whether we should pick out our favorite songs or if the music should be just played in the background without our picking it out.

Here, it is not so mch an issue. In nearly every public place there are small little speakers hidden in the bushes, much like a que line at Disney World. At all hours there is music playing. Usually, it seems that whoever is in charge of the soundsystem for the day picks out one CD and then puts it on repeat. Sometimes, the music is traditional Chinese music. Sometimes the Chinese born, English singing popstar CoCo Lee, and sometimes (like on campus today) it might be a Western group like Coldplay. Yesterday, as I came back to our massive apartment complex, the music de jour was Auld Langs Syne. "Should old acquaitance be forgot and never brought to mind?...." It isn't exactly what I would pick for a day in June when the heat index topped out at 107, but I suppose that it is better than the Disney tunes played by Kenny G that they have been stuck on.

I am sorry for those of you who stayed up late last night to catch me online. We don't have class on Wednesday and so I didn't go to a internet bar. I am using Rebecca's computer while we watch the third Lord of the Rings. It is already Tuesday morning for y'all.

Have a good day.

No comments: