Friday, June 24, 2005

Number 7

My cousin Carolyn is getting married this weekend.

Momma has two sisters: Aunt Pat (the twin) and Uncle Jack have three kids- Emily, Michael and Carolyn; Aunt Marie and Uncle Keith two- Jared and Havely. When we were younger and would go to family reunions, the beach, or Six Flags together, our moms would dress us in matching outfits or T-shirts, each family having a slighty different color. I vivdly remember the parrot shirts that we all had- we Cleaveland girls got the teal shirts.

But in our family, the most famous of these shirts were the number shirts. The originals were a maroonish-brown color with yellow lettering. The front had a large number denoting our birth order (Jared 1, Emily 2, me 3, Havely 4, Rebecca 5, Micheal 6, and Carolyn 7). On the back of the shirts were our names. We have two pictures with us standing in order. The first is just us lined up. I must have just turned 6 and I was a full head taller than numbers 1 & 2. In the second picture we are all turned around so that you can see the names on the back and we are each look over our shoulder. In both pictures Carolyn, who was just an infant, is crying.

A few years ago (could it really have been 4 years ago?) Havely was the first of the grandchildren on momma's side to get married. When we arrived in Wyoming, Havely had recreated the number T-shirts in a better color scheme and included one for Melissa who was not born at the time of the original picture. We took new pictures.

And now, number 7 is getting married. Sweet Carolyn.

Okay, so she met her groom over spring break in Cancun. And so what if her married name will be Carolyn Jolly. She is happy and I even in the few times I have been around her and Todd, I have seen how much he loves her.

I am extremely sad that I am not celebrating with them in Mobile. (In fact, today has been the most homesick that I have been the whole time.) I wish them a very happy wedding and the beginning of a wonderful life together. And Carolyn, I did manage to pick up a wedding present for you over here.

No comments: