Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Public Transportation

I have never ben a fan of Public Transportation. I am not of the belief that Marta is Smarta. And rare is the day that I will get on a bus in Atlanta.

One of the things I am learning while here is to have an appreciation for public transportation, in particular buses. However, yesterday afternoon I had a brief moment of panic on a bus here.

I spent most of the afternoon hanging out at the Coffee Beanery. I was suppose to meet Rachel and some friends at the freshman campus at 6:00. Heather and I didn't leave downtown until about 5:40 and so I was on a tight time schedule.
Now I must explain the bus situation. There are two buses that we take back and forth. The 41 is a bus dedicated to the school. It leaves the South gate of the main campus and goes to the front gate of the East (freshman) campus; it makes only 1 other stop on the way. The 336 is a city bus and makes many stops, including stops in front of our apartment complex, in front of the school, and at the back gate of the East campus.
Since we were going to be eating at the back gate of the East campus, I was going to catch the 336 when the taxi put us out at the front gate of the main campus. I would barely make it in time. When we pulled up the campus, there was a bus leaving, so I paid quickly and told Heather goodbye and hopped on the bus so that I wouldn't have to wait on another. The bus pulls off and almost immediately, I realized that I didn't get on the 336 because I got on the bus coming off campus. I was mad at myself because this meant that I wouldn't be taken straight to the back gate and I would have to walk across campus. And that is when it hit me- the bus I was on wasn't following a route that I had ever been on. In fact I didn't recognize any of where we were. I hadn't looked at the bus numbers at all and I began to fear that I wasn't on the 41 either.

Thank goodness, after a minute and a half, we passed a water tower that I recognized. I was on the 41 and it took my straight to the front gate of the east campus. Huge sigh of relief.

One other note:
Today I wore a solid white skirt and ate two full meals with chopsticks, one of which was noodles with balsamic vinegar on it, and I didn't spill a thing on my skirt. I am sure that some of you might that that this is no big deal, but let me assure you that for me it is huge. I am super proud.

No comments: