Sunday, June 19, 2005

Catching You Up

Happy Father's Day to those of you who are fathers. This week, I am on time.

Let me see if I can catch you up. I was starting to feel the pressure of writing an entry all of the time. So many of you have told me that you have been reading and enjoying it and I want to be at least a little funny. I decided that it was okay that I wouldn't be around a computer for a few days and it would give me a chance to get some new material. I was right.

Thursday night, we had a party at our house. We had the other team over and some of our friends. We watched the hour long verision of Jamie Lane's favorite movie- "The J Flick" as we call it. It was in Chinese and did not have subtitles. At least I knew what was happening with all of the fantastic sound effects.

Friday night we went to eat Indian food and were hit on by some Australian Chinese guy. He told us (Heather, Rachel, and I) that we should get a Chinese boyfriend. After dinner we went to a hairwashing place. For less than $3, we had a 40 minute hairwashing/head message. Amazing! (Though, about halfway through I decided that I like the foot massage place more than someone playing with my head and neck- m personal space issue.)

Yesterday I met one of my Chinese friends to do a study. Then we met another friend because they wanted to show me around town. 7 hours of showing me around town! I have a ton of pictures of me in front of all these random things. I have learned that Chinese people rarely take scenery pictures; instead they would rather have someone staning in the picture. And if they are alone, then the rule is that you don't smile and by all means, don't show your teeth. So we walk 10 steps and "Maybe, you take a picture here." Another ten steps and, "maybe you can take picture here." Lest you be confused, "Maybe" does not imply that I have a choice, really they are saying, "You need to take a picture here."
We went to have dinner at this dumpling place and my friends wanted me to get this meal that was only 20 kuai and you got a sampling of all kinds of foods. When I saw hers, I was glad that I passed. I did suck it up and got these rice balls with seseme seed filling. The inside was good but the outside tasted like glue.

After dinner, we walked down cell phone street. Every street has a speciality. Cell phone street. electronics street. pet street. instrument street. frame street. I don't know where I was going with that, but it strikes me as a little funny.

I think that is all for now. It is hard for me to believe that in a mere 2 weeks from now, I will be on my way home. Crazy.

No comments: