Monday, May 30, 2005

Getting down to Business

Until this morning, I forgot that yesterday was Memorial Day. I hope that all of you had a wonderful day relaxing with family and friends, but that you also had took time to remember all of thosewho have fought and are fighting for the freedoms we have. I am certainly more thankful now than ever before.

And on with my post of the day..
We survived lunch. We went to this little store and Rachel asked for some dish that I didn't know. The look on the woman's face told me that she didn't so much know either. She just motioned for us to sit and she would bring something. She brought out some sort of spicy beef noodles with cilantro in it. It was Awesome. Rachel is still minding her stomach and she is one of those odd people who don't really like spicy food, so she didn't eat much of hers, but mine was gone in a few minutes.
Last night, we made our way downtown to The Walking Street. It is definatly a place I will have to revisit before we leave. Billy picked up a pair of really nice looking leather shoes for 114 quai whish is about $13-$14 dollars. He then took us to the top of the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza (quite possibly the nicest Holiday Inn anywhere) so that we could see the city. The day kind of cleared up and we could see a distant amount of teh city. It is definatlly a huge place.
On the way back, I thought that we were going to die. Our taxi driver apparently thought that we were on the Amazing Race becasue he managed to run no less than 3 red lights with traffic coming. My assessment of Chinese drivers ed is that they must only master the use of the horn. After that nothing else matters. Any paved surface is fair game for driving, including sidewalks. And traffic lights are merely suggestions.

This morning, I cold called a couple of girls that I have been told might be interested in meeting with us. It was a sucess and in an hour I am meeting two girls to practice their English. It is nice to feel like I am finally doing something and not just suffering from sensory overload.

No comments: