Monday, May 09, 2005

Sibling Generosity

Momma is an identical twin. She and my aunt have nearly identical families. Momma and Daddy will be celebrating their 32nd anniversary this year, Aunt Pat and Uncle Jack, their 33rd. Emily is 4 months older than I, Michael is 4 months younger than Rebecca and Carolyn is a year and a half older than Melissa.

On Wednesday, Michael is taking his sisters on a two week trip to Italy. Yeah, super nice.

A couple of months ago, when we found out about this trip, Rebecca and I were talking about how nice it was and about how great it would be if the three of us could take a similar trip. We started daydreaming about where we would go and settled on Greece.

I pointed out that Michael, the middle sibling was being the generous. (In both families, the middle sibling is the one with the lucrative profession.) I implied that she should step up and be just as generous. That pretty much ended the conversation.

A few weeks later, I asked Rebecca if she was planning on running the Chicago marathon again this year. She said no because it was too close to the Athens marathon. Not Athens, Georgia, mind you. No. Athens, Greece.

My punk sister is going to Greece. Is she taking Melissa and I with her? No.
So much for sisterly love.

2 comments:

melissa said...

WHAT?!? I can take a week off of school to tour Greece. I'd survive. What is she thinking?

melissa said...

And she needs a cheering crowd.