Sunday, May 29, 2005

Second Language Learner

We just finished our first morning of classes and I think that it is safe to say that I am not meant to speak Chinese. I even have trouble saying the Chinese name that they have given me (Ke YiLe, which means beautiful waters). Rachel lived for six years in Taiwan and so it is not surprising that she knows a little language. And yet, we have been placed in the same class. Not only do I get to feel dumb because I just don't understand, but I am also getting shown up by Rachel who is just spitting the words out. Not so much fun. I wonder what our teacher would say if I tried to tell him that I have performance anxiety and so he shouldn't call on me in class. It's what my students would try to do, but I don't think that it would work here.

There is a college guy who was here a few weeks ago from NP. He has the summer free and so he decided that he would love to come back. With a very quick turn around, they were able to work everything out and so Alex will be joining us next Sunday. I am hoping that I will be able to at least say my name before then.

We are at some internet bar right outside the campus and we really didn't understand what we were buying. (It cost 40 quai (sp?) for both of us, which is $5, but how much time does that get you?) In addition, this text box is the only thing showing up on my computer in English. Consequently, I am just writing train of thought until it kicks me off. You will also have to forgive me for not running spell check.

Today, Billy has some meetings and so we are on our own for most of the day. We are going to go down to the freshman campus and walk around. Heather, who has been here for a year, took me over there yesterday afternoon. Rachel and I are going to get lunch and then just hang out. Then we are suppose to find a bus or taxi to take us downtown. I think that Billy wants to give us mini challenges so that we will have to try things on our own. I am not so nervous about getting around, but the finding lunch on our own bit has me a bit scared.

I haven't taken many pictures and even if I had, I think that uploading them might prove to be difficult so you might just have to wait. But here's a mental image for you. Smog. Lots of smog. and dust.
I am already missing blue skies and stars at night.

Really I think that is about all I've got for now. I have talked to momma and daddy twice (long story- they are working on getting the unlock code for my cell phone so that I can put in a Chinese SIM card and have a Chinese number), and so if you want more of an update you can talk to them.

No comments: