Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My Doctor's Visit

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the doctor. In preparing to leave the country, I needed a tetanus booster. You are supposed to have one every ten years and I think that I had one right before I went to college. (But it seems that maybe I didn't have one then because I had to have one when I was 13, the year of my illustrious career running track. The coach moved me to throwing the shot-put after I fell twice while running. What a joke. The second fall was bad enough to send me to the emergency room for possible stitches. The scars on my knees are still visible.) The point is that I was due for a shot.

Because momma is a pharmacist, when I am starting to feel under the weather; I usually just call home and ask her what I should take. (For some reason, I have a mental block in remembering which symptoms necessitate an antihistamine and which ones mean I need a decongestant, which ones make me sleepy and which ones give me bad dreams and keep me up at night. I always have to call home. But I digress. Again.) It has been 3 years since I have been so sick that I couldn't avoid the doctor. So, I just haven't gone.

Within the past 3 years, my insurance changed and so I had to get a new doctor. Since they didn't have a file on me, he didn't want to give me my tetanus booster without an appointment. At first, I was a little annoyed because I knew that this meant squeezing an hour of waiting room waiting into my already busy schedule.

But I was wrong. The visit was helpful on several accounts.
- I found out that I have a faint heart murmur. Nothing really to worry about, but something he said I should know, especially in light of my inherited super-slow heart rate. (Thanks, daddy.)
- Tetanus booster taken care of.
- And, the one I am most excited about: I mentioned that I really hate flying. The good old doctor whipped out his pad and wrote me a prescription for Xanax. Nice. Flight anxiety be gone.

Maybe I will go see the doctor more often.

No comments: