Sunday, May 29, 2005

Post One

I don't have a lot of time, so this is going to be short and sweet. I am borrowing email access from one of the American girls who live in our apartment complex (which, by the way, at 33,000 people and growing could be called a small city instead of a complex) and we need to leave in about 15 minutes to go somewhere.

It is about 3 PM on Sunday afternoon and my second full day in China. Things are going well, but it is probably good that I waited to write my first post. The first 24 hours or so were super hard and I kept wondering if I had completely lost my mind in deciding to come over here. Now, as I am getting more sleep and getting use to not understanding much, I like it better.

We have had two great Chinese meals so far including spicy beef noodles for breakfast yesterday. For lunch today, we had western food.

The trip over wasn't so bad. Actually it was pretty awesome. As we were getting on the plane in San Francisco, the woman at the desk called our name and it turns out that we were bumped to business class for the 12 hour flight. Champange as you board, choice of meals, personal video screens, and fully reclining seats. I even managed to sleep and I NEVER sleep on a plane. I think that the extra rest that I got is helping with the jet lag since I seem to be doing okay now.

Rachel is not feeling so great. Right before we left, she found out that she has a stomach virus. It has not gotten better. She is taking it easy today in hope that she will start to feel better soon.

I know that this has not been very funny, nor long, but I am pressed for time. I will try to write more later this week.

Emily Hill- I read your first card yesterday and nearly cried. I do feel a bit like the girl on the front, but your reminders helped a ton.
Thank you to all of you who have provided those moments of encouragment when I feel like wussing out.

No comments: