Friday, May 20, 2005

A lot to Live Up To

Most of you know that I believe that I have the greatest parents ever. Furthermore, you probably know that I think they have the greatest marriage ever. This is the latest example of why I feel that way.

Momma has been a little sick with a sinus infection, but when I talked to her yesterday afternoon, I could just hear in her voice that she wasn't feeling good at all. When I asked how she was feeling, I got the following story.

Yesterday, she got up and did her morning thing, ate a banana (which is personally where I think she went wrong), and went for a walk.

When she got back home, she still wasn't feeling so good, but she needed to go into town and run a few errands. So she got ready, got in the car and made it 500 feet down the road before she knew that she just wasn't going to make it and that this week's grocery shopping would have to wait. Thank goodness that she made it home before losing the banana. (Banana’s are bad enough by themselves; I can't imagine how awful a thrown up banana in a hot car would be.)

Momma never gets sick to her stomach. This was probably the first time she has thrown up since the time she and I had the flu together when I was 12. But, as it always does when you are feeling queasy, throwing up made her feel better. And nothing sounded better than a Coke over crushed ice (we just call it Sonic's good ice, since that is the only place in LaGrange you can get it), so back into the car.

This time, she made it all the way in to town. But while she was waiting on her Coke with good ice, the wave of nausea hit again. At the same time, daddy called because they were suppose to meet for lunch and she should have made it to the car lot already. She told him that she thought that she was about to throw up and faint.

He was there in less than a minute.

I know that since daddy owns his own business, that it isn't that hard to rearrange his schedule, but it is hard for him just to drop everything at the spur of the moment. But drop everything he did. They sat in the doctor's office for a little over an hour; the doctor diagnosed momma's problems, after she threw up another two times in his office.

Then the doctor asked if she needed a work excuse. (Honestly, I didn’t even know that doctors gave work excuses.) But momma said no, because she just couldn't miss work today; there are only three pharmacists at her store and missing work is just not an option because there would be no one to cover for her.

Daddy drove her back to the house and took Melissa (who is doing nothing better on her summer break) back into town to get momma's car.

Then daddy took it upon himself to find the number and call the pharmacy scheduler to let her know that he didn't know what she was going to do, but that momma would not be able to work today.

Sometimes, I don't find it so hard to believe that my sisters and I haven't found the right guy. It's going to be hard to live up to the example that daddy has been.

No comments: